Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas is for us Heathens

So, it's started again. You know, the arguments and fighting over "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas" being used in stores, anti- and pro-consumerism dreck, and evangelicals screeching that we should all keep in mind the "reason for the season". On the last point, I completely agree. We should remember the reason we celebrate winter holidays for the historical and cultural implications. Which is why I will be posting about the history of this awesome winter season, and why, despite what you hear, Jesus really isn't the reason behind pretty much any of it.

So, fellow heathens, enjoy your egg nog and get ready to hear to the real symbolism behind all the mainstream christmas traditions.


Meanwhile, on a side note about the Happy Holidays debate-is it really so offensive for someone to wish you Happy anything? I don't get offended when someone wishes me a Happy Christmas-I mean, they might be a bit presumptuous, but nonetheless are sending me good wishes. I'm just as pleased with a "Happy Wednesday".

No comments:

Post a Comment